Get crafty this Carnaval with these easy-to-make clown finger puppets from a recycled egg carton.
Dutch Carnaval, rooted in Catholic tradition, is a festive season marked by colorful celebrations leading up to Lent. Celebrated primarily in the southern regions of the Netherlands, Carnaval is a time of vibrant parades, elaborate costumes, music and community festivities.
Clowns play a significant role in Carnaval as whimsical figures that embody the spirit of revelry and humor. They symbolize a temporary escape from everyday seriousness, encouraging lightheartedness and laughter during the festivities. Clowns, with their vibrant costumes and playful antics, contribute to the joyous and carefree atmosphere of Dutch Carnaval, making it a time for communities to come together in celebration before the more solemn period of Lent begins.
Creating clown finger puppets from an egg carton was not only a craft project but a delightful journey of creativity for my kids. The process began with transforming a simple egg carton into whimsical finger puppets, a canvas for imagination. The vibrant colors and textures of paint brought these puppets to life, complemented by the colored papers assembled to create the charming features of the clowns’ faces.
How to make clown finger puppets from an egg carton:
- Recycled egg carton
- Colored papers
- Patterned papers
- Small pompoms, different colors
- Glue gun and stick
- Black marker
- Craft jewels
- White paper
- Cut out the triangular shapes from the egg carton.
- Make and cut the clowns’ hairs from colored papers.
- Create and cut bows and collars from patterned papers.
- Divide the egg carton into two parts; the top part is for the hat, and the bottom is for the clown’s face.
- Color the top part with the color of your choice.
- Color the bottom part with white paint.
- Let it dry.
- Draw a mouth on white paper and cut.
- Attach a pair of googly eyes, a red pompom nose, and the mouth on the clown’s face using hot glue.
- Glue a colored pompom on top of the hat.
- Attach the paper hairs to the backside of the clown.
- Glue the bow and/or collar to the bottom of the face, just under the mouth.
- Decorate the bow with a jewel.
- Do the same to the rest of the egg carton clowns.
PIN ME FOR LATER