Decorate your home with these easy to make paper lanterns for Chinese New Year.
The tradition of hanging red Chinese lanterns during Chinese New Year to dispel bad luck and usher in happiness inspired us to create our own festive lanterns using vibrant red patterned paper. This engaging activity not only embraces the cultural significance of the lanterns but also provides an excellent opportunity for practicing cutting skills. It’s a joyful and educational way to celebrate the spirit of Chinese New Year with your kids.
Adorning our bookshelves with the handmade paper lanterns, alongside other DIY Chinese decorations, created a festive atmosphere in our home. While we didn’t have specific Chinese-themed books, I showcased our collection of red-covered books, symbolizing good fortune, luck, and vitality. It’s a simple yet meaningful touch that adds to the celebration of Chinese New Year in our household.
How to create a paper lantern:
- Red patterned paper
- Gold washi tape
- Glue gun and stick
- Paper cutter (optional)
- Printer (optional)
- Lantern template
- Using the template, cut the dotted line on the paper’s edge for the handle. Set it aside.
- Fold the paper in half.
- Cut along the dotted lines on both sides of the paper.
- Unfold the paper and bend until both edges reach each other.
- Glue the edges together with hot glue.
- Attach the handle on the top part of the lantern.
- Decorate the top and bottom parts with gold washi tape.
PIN ME FOR LATER