Get crafty with your kids and create these versatile paper lanterns that are perfect for the Year of the Tiger.
These paper lanterns are so easy to make with just a few supplies. I love to use recycled cardboards and cut them into shapes, so my boys can either color or paint them. They are always excited whenever I put out our coloring materials.
Let’s make some Chinese Paper Lanterns:
- Recycled cardboard
- Red patterned paper
- Red paper
- Gold washi tape
- Glue gun and stick
- Black and gold acrylic paint
- Black marker
- Lantern template and measurements
- Tiger head template
- Cut the base of the lantern from cardboard using the downloaded template.
- Paint the base with black paint. Let dry.
- Using the tiger head template, trace and cut the head from the cardboard.
- Paint the tiger with gold acrylic. Let dry.
- Draw the tiger’s face and stripes with a black marker.
- Cut a 21.5 cm x 11 cm patterned paper and fold it into small (0.5cm) pleats (accordion fold).
- Attach the tiger head on a 10.5 cm x 8.5 cm red paper.
- Glue the red paper onto the red patterned paper (accordion fold) and attach the patterned paper onto the black cardboard.
- Cut a 8.5 cm x 7 cm size red paper and make a tassel.
- Glue the top of the tassel on the lower back part of the black cardboard.
- Cut strips of the gold washi tape and attach them on the top and bottom of the black cardboard.
- Cut a strip of red paper, bend it and fasten the bottom with hot glue.
- Glue the handle at the top back of the black cardboard.
PIN ME FOR LATER
Tags : activities for kids, activities for toddler, art ideas for kids, art ideas for toddlers, Arts and crafts, arts and crafts for kids, chinese new year activities for kids, chinese new year craft, Chinese new year crafts, chinese new year diy decorations, chinese new year lanterns, chinese paper lantern craft, craft ideas for kids, craft ideas for toddlers, diy chinese new year paper lanterns, indoor activities for kids, kids activities, kids craft, lunar new year activities, lunar new year craft, lunar new year diy decorations, lunar new year lantern crafts, lunar new year lanterns, sensory activities, sensory play for kids